Generation Solar provides turn-key renewable energy systems for a variety of commercial, residential, and institutional applications, primarily in solar-electric and solar water heating technologies. We also offer consulting, engineering, project management, and contract installation services.
Principals are Professional Engineers as well as licensed trades persons. Licensed trades on staff.
We envision a sustainable energy economy. We contribute to that economy by:
- Being a leader in the field of sustainable energy solutions;
- Conducting business in a socially and environmentally responsible manner; and
- Improving the quality of life for our clients, employees, and community, locally and globally.
Who we are
Simon Boone, P.Eng.
Simon is a graduate of McMaster University's Civil Engineering program where he focused on environmental building design and building science. He's worked in the construction industry and for J.D. Barnes Ltd, working with geographic information systems for municipal hydro-electric utilities. During that time, Simon became increasingly aware of our reliance on the utility grid for energy.
In the summer of 1998 Simon co-founded Generation Solar. Simon teaches renewable energy through Fleming College and for the Canadian Solar Industries Association (CanSIA) Certified Solar Domestic Hot Water certificate. He served for many years on the CanSIA Board of Directors and now serves on the CanSIA Solar Thermal Training Committee. Simon is a CanSIA Certified Solar Domestic Hot Water installer and a Licensed Plumber.
J.P. Pawliw, P.Eng., ME
Jean-Pierre graduated from Queen's University in 1994 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. He worked for Siemens-Milltronics Process Instruments Inc. first designing industrial instrumentation and then managing new instrumentation development projects.
In 1998/99 JP traveled in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and India. This trip fueled his interest in resource conservation and ecological sustainability and in the spring of 2000 JP joined Generation Solar. JP teaches renewable energy through Fleming College and Trent University and served as the President of the Canadian Solar Industry Association (CanSIA), as well as the Chair of several local organizations. JP is a Licensed Electrician and Licensed Master Electrician (ME).
Engineering services offered:
- Grid-tied photovoltaic (PV) energy systems design for participation in Ontario's FIT and MicroFIT programs
- Commercial solar thermal systems design for domestic hot water and process hot water
Turnkey system implementation:
- Grid-tied PV systems
- Commercial solar hot water systems
- off grid energy systems
- building integrated PV collectors
- Extensive project portfolio including new construction and retrofit installations involving multiple project stakeholders
- Licensed Electrical Contractor ESA/ECRA #7001714; Member of CanSIA (Canadian Solar Industry Association); $5M general commercial liability insurance; $1M professional liability insurance
- Principals are Professional Engineers and tradesmen. Licensed trades on staff.
- Generation Solar installed Ottawa's, Cobourg's, and Peterborough's first grid-tie solar electric systems and has worked extensively with multiple utilities to facilitate micro-generation connection. We have also produced monitoring systems for capturing, processing, and displaying renewable energy system performance.
- Simon Boone chaired the Ontario Caucus of the Canadian Solar Industries Association and assisted in the development of the provincial Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program. Winner of the CanSIA 'Volunteer of the Year' award for his work on the CanSIA Board of Directors and the Ontario Caucus.
- Generation Solar principals have occupied positions on the Canadian Solar Industry Association Board of Directors for 7 years, including executive positions, and have sat on advisory committees to Natural Resources Canada regarding the growth and development of the solar industry in Canada.
- JP and Simon teach renewable energy through Fleming College, Trent University, the Kortright Centre, and the CanSIA Solar Domestic Hot Water Installers Program; have given numerous presentations to conferences; and have sat on multiple Fleming College curriculum development advisory committees.
- Awarded Young Entrepreneur of the Year by the Peterborough Chamber of Commerce. Generation Solar's community involvements were strong factors in the selection.
- Finalist for the Peterborough Business Excellence Award in Environmental Practice
- Consulted and installed for the Natural Resources Canada domestic solar hot water (DSHW) pilot project.
- It has been a great pleasure working with you, the project has gone very smoothly. We are very pleased and we look forward to continuing our relationship with you over the next 20 years as we generate power.
- I was a great relief to find Generation Solar, after having numerous unpleasant dealings with my initial installer. Their responsiveness and professionalism were top notch. They represented me in dealings with my equipment manufacturer over a warranty issue and produced results that I don't feel I could have on my own. Most importantly, they did what they said they would and kept me informed every step of the way. I would not hesitate recommending Generation Solar and look forward to a continued relationship with them.
- I just wanted to let you know how pleased we are with the system you and your team installed. Things have been running great. Checking the inverter for the daily output has been part of my routine, and I enjoy counting the kW. Thanks so much for all the work, professionalism and guidance on this project. You and your team are great.
- Wanted you to know that Jackson and Geordie were Amazing and very helpful, hard working in the heat. They did an Awesome job and were very tidy, a hot weather bonus is probably in order though they did say they love working for you.