Part Time Electrician, Construction and Maintenance
Generation Solar seeks a skilled individual to join us in the position of Part Time Electrician. This person will provide supervision to a registered apprentice and contribute to the preparation, installation, and service of solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems in residential and commercial applications, both on and off grid. This is a part time contract position with variable hours, subject to negotiation. Start date is negotiable. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. This could be ideal for someone who is semi-retired.
The successful candidate will be:
- Registered as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician in Ontario;
- Community minded and committed to the growth and development of apprentices;
- Excited about the flexibility offered by this position and by a small, dynamic company in a growing industry;
- Technically minded and an analytical problem solver;
- Flexible and adaptable;
- Self motivated;
- Able to demonstrate high quality standards and commitment to a superior customer experience;
- Able to follow broad directions and also able to lead an installation team; and
- An excellent and proactive communicator.
Generation Solar is a green energy company. We design, supply, install, and service solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems for commercial and residential applications. Founded and based in Peterborough, we’ve been riding the Solar Coaster since 1998. If you’ve followed the industry, you’ll be aware that 90+% of solar companies in Ontario over the last 12 years are no longer in business. We are. Why? Because we’re committed to our clients, to our community, and to taking smart steps to a better world. Join us.
If you meet our requirements and bring relevant skills and experience submit an application with a relevant cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com noting Part Time Electrician in the subject line.
Contribute to the electrical installation and maintenance of solar electric systems, battery energy storage systems, and EV chargers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision of the Master Electrician and the Construction Manager:
- Provide leadership and expertise to one or more Registered Apprentices and/or Installation Assistants
- Install the electrical portion of solar energy systems
- Oversee the electrical portion of the installation of solar collectors on racks, roofs, poles, etc
- Install wiring from solar combiner/junction boxes all the way to electrical service entrance
- Place and wire equipment such as batteries, inverters, disconnects, etc
- Make connections to customer services under a range of conditions and applications, including residential, commercial, and industrial.
- Run wire and conduit (all types); pull wire; dress wires and make connections; install grounding systems; install electrical services; etc.
- Communicate with team members about challenges and successes
- Set and maintain high quality standards, both for the work performed and for the conduct of the installation team
- Collaborate in planning and preparation, estimate required labour and materials
- Troubleshoot solar energy systems; perform routine maintenance and inspections; diagnose and solve problems
- Other related duties as required
- Secondary education
- Valid G driver’s license and clean driving record
- Registered in Ontario as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician (Trade code 309A)
- Relevant technical certificates
- Demonstrated experience in residential and commercial services, underground installations, grounding and bonding, and installation of equipment and wiring systems.
- Organizational: job site, work plan, tools, lists
- Interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to work constructively with others, both in subordinate and supervisory roles; sensitivity to needs and concerns of clients; good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Proactive worker
- Analytical problem solving, troubleshooting, idea creation
- Technical aptitude including mathematics, physics, mechanical systems, tools, etc.; Ability to work at heights; knowledge of the OESC and its application
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and communicate through sketches
- Part time / occasional
- Constrained spaces such as attics and crawlspaces
- Some roof work may be required
- In client’s homes and other private spaces; residential and commercial applications
- Variable hours of work
- Heavy lifting
- Agility and manual dexterity
- Good eye sight and hearing, colour vision
- Work at heights
None, however supervisory responsibility over one or more apprentices/assistants.