Photovoltaic Installation Technician – Junior
Generation Solar seeks a highly motivated individual to join us in the position of Photovoltaic Installation Technician – Junior. This person will assist in the preparation, installation, and service of solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems in residential and commercial applications, both on and off grid. This is a full time permanent position; start date is immediate. The position will remain open until the ideal candidate is found. Seriously – we’re looking for a really good match. If you’re not it, please look elsewhere.
The successful candidate will be:
- Good natured, quick to smile, and consistently constructive;
- Committed to a career in the renewable energy industry and to climate change mitigation;
- Community minded;
- Excited about the benefits and opportunities of working for a small, dynamic company in a growing industry;
- Technically minded and an analytical problem solver;
- Flexible and adaptable;
- Self motivated;
- Able to demonstrate high quality standards and commitment to a superior customer experience;
- An excellent and proactive communicator.
Generation Solar is a green energy company. We design, supply, install, and service solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems for commercial and residential applications. Founded and based in Peterborough, we’ve been riding the Solar Coaster since 1998. If you’ve followed the industry, you’ll be aware that 90+% of solar companies in Ontario over the last 12 years are no longer in business. We are. Why? Because we’re committed to our clients, to our community, and to taking smart steps to a better world. Join us.
If you meet our requirements and bring relevant skills and experience, submit an application with a relevant cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org noting PV Installer in the subject line.
Job Title: Photovoltaic Installation Technician – Junior
Job Purpose: Working in a small team, assist in the installation and repair of solar energy systems.
Duties and Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Construction Manager, Lead Hand, and Installation Technician:
- Assist in the Installation of renewable energy systems
o Install solar racking on roofs using standard hand and power tools to a
high standard of quality
o Install and connect solar photovoltaic modules on racking
o Interconnect PV module wires
o Identify installation challenges and work with Lead to plan around them
o Job site errands
- Assist in the planning and preparation of installations
o Maintenance of a safe site
o Alert Lead of supply or tool shortages
o Get supplies and pick up orders from vendors
o Accurately track/label purchases and receipts by job
o Keep standard stock supplies refreshed; implement general
maintenance on tools and equipment
- Assist in the troubleshooting of photovoltaic energy systems
- Run general errands and other miscellaneous tasks such as cleaning the
shop, cleaning the van, and deliveries, etc.
- Valid G driver’s license and good driving record
- Working at Heights certificate
- Lock Out / Tag Out training* (*will train the right applicant)
- Lift Truck/Articulated Lift operator’s card*
- Forklift/Telehandler operator’s card*
- Technical certificates or training an asset, especially in building construction,
renewable energy, or roofing
- Post-secondary education in a relevant technical topic an asset
- Being proactive, yet safe. Knowing your own skill/knowledge limits.
- Communication – reading, listening, and expressing oneself proactively and
clearly orally, via digital tools, and with the use of drawings and sketches.
- Organizational: job site efficiency, (planning ahead, proper use of tools)
- Technical aptitude, including general knowledge of residential and
commercial construction techniques, carpentry, electricity, and general job
- Mechanical aptitude, including safe use of common tools and mechanical
- Problem solving and troubleshooting
- ***Ability to work comfortably at heights on sloped roofs***
- Renewable energy and/or electrical skills and experience a strong asset
- Indoors/Outdoors, widely variable weather conditions
- Roofs: flat and sloped, shallow and steep, variety of construction methods –use of fall protection equipment required.
- Constrained spaces such as attics and crawlspaces
- In clients’ buildings and other private and public spaces
- Flexible hours of work
- Frequent travel within a 90-minute radius of Peterborough
- Heavy lifting
- Agility and manual dexterity
- Good eye sight and hearing, colour vision (wire colour differentiation)
- Working at heights