Solar Electrician, Construction and Maintenance
Generation Solar seeks a highly motivated individual to join us in the position of Solar Electrician. This person will lead the preparation, installation, and service of solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems in residential and commercial applications, both on and off grid. This is a full time permanent position; start date is negotiable. The position will remain open until the ideal candidate is found. Seriously – we’re looking for a really good match. If you’re not it, please look elsewhere.
The successful candidate will be:
- Good natured, quick to smile, and consistently constructive;
- Registered as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician in Ontario;
- Experienced in the installation, troubleshooting, and repair of solar electric systems for both residential and commercial applications;
- Committed to a career in the renewable energy industry and to climate change mitigation;
- Community minded;
- Excited about the benefits and opportunities of working for a small, dynamic company in a growing industry;
- Technically minded and an analytical problem solver;
- Flexible and adaptable;
- Self motivated;
- Able to demonstrate high quality standards and commitment to a superior customer experience;
- Able to follow broad directions and also able to lead an installation team; and
- An excellent and proactive communicator.
Generation Solar is a green energy company. We design, supply, install, and service solar electric systems and battery energy storage systems for commercial and residential applications. Founded and based in Peterborough, we’ve been riding the Solar Coaster since 1998. If you’ve followed the industry, you’ll be aware that 90+% of solar companies in Ontario over the last 12 years are no longer in business. We are. Why? Because we’re committed to our clients, to our community, and to taking smart steps to a better world. Join us.
If you meet our requirements and bring relevant skills and experience submit an application with a relevant cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org noting Solar Electrician in the subject line.
Lead the electrical installation and maintenance of solar electric systems, battery energy storage systems, and EV chargers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under supervision of the Master Electrician and the Construction Manager:
- Lead the electrical Installation of solar energy systems
- Oversee the electrical portion of the installation of solar collectors on racks, roofs, poles, etc
- Install wiring from solar combiner/junction boxes all the way to electrical service entrance
- Place and wire equipment such as batteries, inverters, disconnects, etc
- Make connections to customer services under a range of conditions and applications, including residential, commercial, and industrial.
- Run wire and conduit (all types); pull wire; dress wires and make connections; install grounding systems; install electrical services; etc.
- Communicate with team members about challenges and successes
- Set and maintain high quality standards, both for the work performed and for the conduct of the installation team
- Collaborate in planning and preparation
- Estimate required labour and materials
- Get supplies and pick up orders from vendors
- Accurately track/label purchases and receipts by job
- Keep standard stock supplies refreshed; identify and implement general maintenance on tools and equipment
- Troubleshoot solar energy systems; perform routine maintenance and inspections; diagnose and solve problems
- Supervise one or more Registered Apprentices and/or Installation Assistants
- Other related duties as required
- Secondary education
- Valid G driver’s license and clean driving record
- Registered in Ontario as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician (Trade code 309A)
- Level 1 Infrared Thermographer certificate
- Relevant technical certificates
- Demonstrated solar energy system installation, commissioning, troubleshooting, and repair skills
- Organizational: job site, work plan, tools, lists
- Interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to work constructively with others, both in subordinate and supervisory roles; sensitivity to needs and concerns of clients; good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Proactive worker
- Analytical problem solving, troubleshooting, idea creation
- Technical aptitude including mathematics, physics, mechanical systems, tools, etc.; Ability to work at heights; knowledge of the OESC and its application
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and communicate through sketches
- Indoors/Outdoors, most weather conditions
- Constrained spaces such as attics and crawlspaces
- Roofs: flat and sloped, shallow and steep, variety of construction methods – use of fall arrest equipment required.
- In client’s homes and other private spaces; residential and commercial applications
- Variable hours of work
- Frequent travel; jobs may span multiple days out of town, staying on site or in motels, etc.
- Heavy lifting
- Agility and manual dexterity
- Good eye sight and hearing, colour vision
- Work at heights
None, however supervisory responsibility over one or more apprentices/assistants.